It seems like just yesterday that we were writing top ten anticipated articles for the year of 2015, and it is absolutely absurd that another year has gone, but alas that is the case. So here we are again in the beginning of another promising year in the release of games. We here at TGA like to take that weird in-between the holidays time and the true start of the business of the year to bring you all a list of games that we are super excited about.
Steph and I worked together to create a list of games this year, seeing as we both have very similar taste in video games, and basically anything we do on the internet seems to have us lumped into one two-headed monstrosity! So here we go! Starting off with number 10…
10. Dishonored II – We both tend to be really big fans of the steampunk styled Victorian era type things, and I (Tori) really enjoyed the first game. For those of you who don’t know much about Dishonored, it is an action adventure styled RPG with a heavy emphasis on stealth. In the first game you follow around a man who has recently been framed for a coup, and you follow him on a mission to clear his name and rescue the heiress to the kingdom. In the second game you get the opportunity to play as the heiress you rescued in the first game. The world is interesting and unique with every character having unique capabilities and powers and we are very excited to see what they have planned for the upcoming sequel to the wildly popular game.
9. Ratchet & Clank – Neither of us have played the original games very much but Ratchet & Clank’s reimagining still has us very enthused. The game is said to be science fiction action-oriented platformer/third-person shooter type game with a super adorable art style that just totally tickles our incredibly picky aesthetic senses. We hear that this game is what the creators wanted to make the original one like, but had too many limitations due to the technology of the day. So, along with a super legit looking new movie, we get this awesome new game that we just cannot wait to get our hands on.
8. Star Fox – In April we finally get a chance to see what Nintendo pushed so hard to get a hype train up behind at E3 this last year, and honestly as a kid who totally had an N64 I (Tori) am very excited to see what they do with a new Star Fox game. It is said that the game will follow the original way of controlling with likely some interesting new stuff to come. The game looks good, which is always something I’m impressed to see: how older games translate into this super high quality 1080p present we all live in. As fans of the original we are super stoked to see what they’re going to do with the new installment in the series.
7. Hyper Light – Both of us have a very specific type of aesthetic that we like and this game basically hits that right out of the park. There are only a few words to describe quite how absolutely beautiful this game looks and, as artists, it’s at least half the reason we are excited to play this game. On top of the fact that the gameplay looks fun, it’s a RPG which is one of our personal favorite types of games. We also like to support indie games and tend to lean towards them over big company release titles.
6. Final Fantasy XV – So we have both been pretty avidly into Final Fantasy for some time. Back in middle school the Advent Children movie and Final Fantasy X were the absolute bees knees, and we have been waiting for a new release of Final Fantasy that actually measures up for a long time. The new game looks like it may actually do that. The combat looks unique with its teleport to sword option and the art and animation is gorgeous. How far the technology has come is absolutely breathtaking and Square Enix has always done a phenomenal job at utilizing that technology to make something as beautiful as absolutely possible. We are both excited to see what this game truly has in store and we look to it with a cautious style of optimism.
5. Kingdom Hearts III – This game has been a long time coming, and I mean a LONG time. This was on both of our top ten anticipated lists last year and we just cannot let it go. We have been waiting for it forever as there have been many Kingdom Hearts games that have come out and not advanced the story. I think most of us are fed up with that and want to see what is to come in the new game. I won’t go on about how gorgeous it is or how excited we are because most of us at this point just what the damn game to come out.
4. Cuphead – We have an intense desire to physically consume the fluid animation and 1920s art style for nourishment. Unfortunately, it’s digital and we are human, so this is actually physically impossible. We can, however, buy this game, which looks fantastic. The style of gameplay is a refreshing take from what we’ve been seeing around mostly; lots of roaming RPGs with a large world. This looks more like some extremely intense middle school flash game on Newgrounds, but in the best possible way that such a thing could exist. Between the aesthetic, nostalgia and novelty of it all, there’s no way for us not to like it.
3. Unravel – We are so enthused about this game because it looks so simple, cute and enjoyable. A good time in general; not too hard or painful but it’s so cute! We just want to curl up in it and have good feelings. It looks like a game that we could have a good time in and not get too frustrated. The gameplay and puzzles look fun thanks to the physics play. There’s a lot of math and guesswork and sciencing and we adore that sort of thing. It’s less intense than a lot of games, and feels closer to Ori and the Blind Forest in that regard, which we enjoyed and will probably love this one too.
2. Pokémon Go – It’s really really rare that you see any kind of a mobile game show up in a top ten anticipated games list. But holy crap do we want to become Pokémon trainers, goddamn it! You may have noticed if you follow our articles and videos at all that there is almost always something Pokémon related on the list. This is not an accident as both of us are very fond the franchise. We both grew up with the cards and the games, and we have been waiting for an opportunity like this for ages. What else is there to say?! We’re just excited about it, okay?
1. Hiveswap – Alright! This was literally both of our stupid little fandom trash hearts number one game that was anticipated to come out last year, and it will be our number one game again this year. We have both been following the production of this game very closes as avid Homestuck fans, with this being the Homestuck related game that is scheduled to release this year. The fact that we follow it so closely lends us to know that last year there were many MANY unforeseen problems with the development of this game. They had to completely shift from 3D to a 2D styled game. Let me tell you when I say that there are just simply no breaks on this particular Hype Train. No. Breaks. So this game, despite the serious art shift, looks absolutely gorgeous. We have seen stills and…holy crap that art is just absolutely sinful! With people like Toby Fox (the creator of Undertale) on board this production team, there is absolutely no way the story won’t just be drop dead sexy as hell. This is what we play video games for.