PS4 and Xbox 720: What to Expect

PS4 Xbox 720

Microsoft and Sony struck gold with their Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 systems over the past six years. Microsoft has sold 57.6 million units worldwide, and Sony has sold 55.5 million units worldwide. After the extreme success of these two consoles, you might find yourself asking “What’s next?”, and unfortunately the answer to that question is all but clear, but there are a few things that come to mind when I think Xbox 720 and PS4. Read more to discover what I anticipate to be the main focuses of the next generation consoles for Sony and Microsoft.

The new generation of consoles would have to have hardware that eclipses the old versions to make the upgrade necessary. The Xbox 360, and the PS3’s hardware seems to be top of the line, so if there were to be any sort of upgrade, the changes would have to be so great that people would jump at the opportunity. A major problem with this is that game developers can only upgrade their technology so much to the point that they are no longer able to do so. If the system’s hardware would eventually increase and become better than what the developers are able to use, there will be quite some time with sub-par games that are not able to use the console’s full potential.

Another major change that we will most likely see with the next generation of consoles is strong 3D compatability. Most television manufacturers nowadays are putting a lot of money into developing 3D TVs, so it would only be logical for Microsoft and Sony to do the same. With almost every movie and DVD coming out having a 3D option, it doesn’t seem too foreign to imagine seeing major console titles coming out in fully developed 3D.

A very important change that must be added is more time put into testing a new system. A major problem Microsoft has been plauged with during the life of their console, is the Red Ring of Death and Sony has had problems with the Yellow Light of Death as well. Being a owner of both systems, I am able to say I have experienced the frustration of the Red Ring, and how terrible it is to have it fixed. Microsoft and Sony will have to completely step up their game when they do decide to release a new console, and put a lot of time into testing it to aviod having such a catastrophic failure in their new top of the line system they will be pushing.

All together the Xbox 720 and the PlayStation 4 may seem like they are far away, but they may be closer than you might think. With technology increasing further and further every minute, it makes sense to expect the next big thing from Microsoft and Sony; putting the fact that they have not updated their systems in almost seven years into consideration. I will just like to end on the fact that these are only my thoughts of what might come, I hope to see more and more improvements to the new line, these are only some things I found important.

Written by: Nick McCandless

7 Comments Added

Join Discussion
  1. Trekster November 23, 2011 | Reply
    "am able to say I have experienced the frustration of the Red Ring, and how terrible it is to have it fixed"

That is lame, I have had red ring and it was as simple as logging into Xbox printing out a prepaid UPS label, there are instructions that anyone that reads them will understand how to send off the Xbox. They sent me another one within 8 days?

OH THAT IS TERRIBLE???
  2. Chad C November 23, 2011 | Reply
    Yeah two weeks wasted sending a 3 month old machine to be fixed. Nope that was actually fun, i loved it. Wasn't terrible at all, nope. Obvioulsy everyone dosn't have the cool and calm exterior like Trekster.

Also my PS3 hasn't failed yet and there failure rate never went above 10% the normal failure rate for any electronic device.
  3. supaflypriest November 23, 2011 | Reply
    Microsoft did make it simple to replace...and at least they replaced mine for free, when my ps3 went out less than a year of owning it, i couldn't find my receipt so i had to get it fixed out of pocket...sucks...
  4. jahhshd November 23, 2011 | Reply
    expect more fanboi rage.:sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad::sad:;-):sad:;-):sad::sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):D:sad:;-):sad::sad:;-):sad::sad::D:D:sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-);-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad::sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad::sad:;-):sad:;-):sad:;-):sad::sad:
  5. Linus January 4, 2012 | Reply
    Fucking come on! I just Bought my ps3! so now i have both but it comes a newer one now wtf???????
  6. mark January 6, 2013 | Reply
    Yeah I see them coming out but they will have to have top notch games. I don't see them really coming out next year. Everyone is saying xbox will and sony will follow but really what do they need to do. I think they could probably keep this console for the next 3-4 years then release a new one. I think xbox will have to release its new one before sony. It is lacking 3d and ps3 can just do more when downloading movies to the hard drive and connecting to the pc. I think it does a better job than xbox. I am basically a xbox gamer and I just got the ps3 and have been gaming on it for a while. I use the new tournament po3wer A controller and it feels as if I was playing on a xbox. This next time around I will probably be paying for only one system and leaving it at that. Lets see what Sony and Microsoft do.
  7. Orologi Replica November 29, 2013 | Reply
    Troverete le risposte alle vostre domande sui nostri [B][url=http://www.replicheorologi.onweb.it]Repliche Orologi[/url][/B] , Imitazioni Rolex , e tutte le [B][url=http://rolexorologi.iobloggo.com/]Repliche Rolex[/url][/B] che trovi in questo sito di vendita di orologi copie.replica orologiIl miglior portale di orologi replica , repliche rolex , di altissima qualità ...

Leave Your Reply

thegameraccess

Founded on November 2008 by Nick McCandless, The Gamer Access is a rapidly rising portal of original video game industry content. With shows such as 60 Minute Access, Unscripted Access, and Super Mega Awesome Go Play Time, TGA boasts a reliable portfolio of media that is delivered to audiences around the world on a daily basis.

The site has delivered written reviews, launched its own web comic, conducted multiple gaming live streams on Twitch every week, and presented unparalleled cinematic video reviews.

Tweets

This week on 60 Minute Access, it is Overwatch! #Overwatch https://t.co/2RWqjBNYSA
New Unscripted Access podcast episode! https://t.co/RqNygCgicE https://t.co/lnQ2YqQ5Xn
This week on Playing God, Tori drew Yorshka from Dark Souls 3! #DarkSouls3 https://t.co/Y4J7n8oOCh https://t.co/4Lt0SZV3wk