Last year was an epic year for gamers of all ages! We got lost in the endless world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. We screamed at our TV screens every time we died in Bloodborne. We shed tears of joy as we ripped open our brand spankin’ new Fallout 4 games, and we collectively geeked out as we roamed the awesome battlefields of Star Wars Battlefront. But, that was then…this is now. Which games will keep me on the couch for hours this year? Sit back, relax and let me show you the ten games that will keep me “calling in sick” all year long.
10. Battleborn – First person shooters come a dime a dozen. But, this Gearbox inspired title promises to be different. How? This game will take you on an elaborate questing system in its online battles! Not only that, but you will actually level up during your matches. The game boasts 25 playable heroes with their own abilities and skills. Decisions, decisions….my head hurts just thinking about it! But if online bullet battles are not your thing, it will still have a campaign mode that you can play solo or with some buddies. You know what they say? Teamwork makes the dream work.
9. Quantum Break – This title is a thirdperson shooter. But, what makes this game exciting is your decision making. This game will have episodes like your favorite TV drama, and your decisions will affect the story and plotline of the game! The main character is Jack Joyce and he is not your typical protagonist. He can freeze time…and don’t tell me you have never wished you could do that in real life. Going to be late for work or class? Freeze time…boom. Boss is happy, get a paycheck and use that paycheck to buy more video games.
8. Tom Clancy’s The Division – Ubisoft rarely disappoints. There is no doubt that it will wow us again with Tom Clancy’s The Division. Another thirdperson shooter with a sprawling world to discover and conquer with every single bulletdriven gun imaginable. This title will give you the power to gain experience and juice up your character with new skills and abilities. Or if you are like me, you can deck out your character with customizable swag like uniforms and backpacks. Who said that gamers don’t know fashion?
7. Ratchet and Clank – This game series has brought me joy for years. Time hasn’t changed one of my favorite video game duos, and they won’t bring the boredom with the next installment set to release on the PS4. The premise is the same: save the day…again. But, saving the day this time will pack all the power of the PS4. The series never fails to make us laugh with its hilarious dialogue and unbelievable weapons of destruction. This outing will feature brand new toys and past weapons that will bring out the little kid in me, again.
6. LawBreakers – I know what are you saying. Hey, what about some love for PC games? Well, here you go. This title is a PC exclusive for now but may make the jump to your handy dandy console in the future. If you have never heard of this game, I don’t blame you. The release date is unknown as of right now but the lead designer Cliff Bleszinski said this game will focus on “gangs, guns, and gravity.” Now don’t tell me that won’t catch your attention. The game promises to spark heated online battles between criminals and law enforcement. Cops and robbers, to its very core.
5. Far Cry Primal – If you are like me, sometimes you dream about being a caveman…and what it would be like. Wait, just me? Okay then… Regardless, this game makes my dream a reality. This actionadventure game is set during the years when cavemen walked the lands with wooly mammoths. It is your job to make a name for yourself. The game starts you off as a lowly hunter, but you have big dreams. Dreams to lead your own tribe and dominate every single sabertoothed tiger in your path. Interested now? You’re welcome.
4. Kingdom Hearts 3 – Another title that sparks the nostalgia in me. And I have no doubt that Disney will bring the heat again with this highly anticipated game. Your favorite keyblade wielding pal, Sora, is back but with some new friends. Goofy and Donald join him on this journey again, but new fan favorites Rapunzel and Baymax promise to make appearances. What has kept me coming back to this series is the integration of roleplaying elements and typical action adventure. Mix in your favorite Disney characters and it’s guaranteed to be a winner.
3. Gears of War 4 – I have loved this series since the very first introduction of the XBOX console. I loved its ridiculous amount of unnecessary carnage and the incredible personalities of its characters. What can I say? I’m a romantic. This installment brings back what the series has held true to its very humble beginnings: you versus the aliens and freakylooking monsters. Afraid of the dark? Then maybe you should pass this title up. Gears of War 4 guarantees to have you jumping off the couch and running away thanks to its creepy atmosphere and haunting music. But, if you do, you will regret it.
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn – Sometimes, in real life, you wanna be Katnisslike. You know, grab a bow and arrow and just start randomly shooting robotic dinosaurs. That happened in Hunger Games, right? Of course not, but that’s what you get to do in this game. A roleplaying game set in a land that has been decimated by the apocalypse, it is your job to restore order and figure your way around this destroyed land. This game is very tactical; you will need to use every trick in the book to survive. The game allows you to create new items and set up traps for those robotic dinosaurs I talked about before. What makes me drool, though, is the promised cycle of night and day! Should I fight this dinosaur at night and sneak up on it? Or just go all out arrows blazing in the early day before this baddie has his first cup of coffee?
1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – Finally, the game I have been waiting for the most. Our lovable Nathan Drake is back to end this epic gamechanging franchise. But, he can’t do it forever, right? The story starts you off as a retired fortune and treasure hunter…how’s that for an attention grabber on your resume? He tries to lead a normal life filled with 401ks and the rise and fall of gas prices…but, surprise surprise, that gets old fast. He somehow gets dragged into another adventure filled with suspense and sacrifice: the main components that made gamers fall in love with Drake from the beginning. It pains me to see this franchise end, but I know this series will have gamers talking about it for years to come.
2015 was an awesome year for gamers, and this new year will be filled with more video game fire. And with this list, the video game industry will bring new and old heavy hitters to keep us satisfied. So, what are you doing reading this article? You got some video game playing to do!